Time to prepare: 1 hour
Time to cook: 40 mins
For the Shortcut Pastry:
100g Lincolnshire Poacher/strong Cheddar, grated
100g chilled Lincolnshire Poacher butter, diced
250g plain flour
Good pinch sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Iced water and 1 beaten egg
for the Filling:
200g frozen peas
2 medium leeks, trimmed, washed & sliced 1cm rings
100g or large knob of Lincolnshire Poacher butter,
200ml full fat crème fraiche
2 large eggs and 1 extra yolk
250g goat’s cheese roughly cubed
pinch cayenne, sea salt and ground black pepper
1) Combine cheese and butter, flour and seasoning in a processor or by hand. Add iced water slowly until the mixture just holds together. Form into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2) Roll out and line a 25cm flan case. Preheat oven to 200DegC/400DegF/Gas Mark 6. Bake blind for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and brush lightly with beaten egg. Now prepare the filling.
1) Sweat the leek in the butter until soft but not brown. Remove from the heat. Add the peas and turn to coat in the butter.
2) Beat together the crème fraiche, eggs, cayenne and season well. Stir in the leek and pea mixture, reserving some liquid if it is too wet.
3) Pour into the prepared flan case. Scatter the goat’s cheese on top. Bake at 180DegC/350DegF/Gas Mark4 for 20-25 minutes or until just set.
Admin November, 2014