Time to prepare: 20 mins
Time to cook: 35 mins
1kg Desiree potato, peeled
pinch salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
3 large Onions, peeled and finely sliced
200g Bacon, cut into short fine strips
1 tbsp vegetable oil
300g Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese, grated
200g crème fraîche
50g unsalted butter, softened
300ml dry white wine
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6. First, simmer the potatoes in plenty of salted water until completely cooked through. Drain and leave to cool.
2. Once they have cooled enough to handle, cut the potatoes into 1cm slices, season with salt, freshly ground pepper and freshly grated nutmeg and set aside.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, sweat the onions with the bacon in the vegetable oil in a heavy-based frying pan for 10 minutes until soft, turn up the heat and brown, stirring constantly.Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Mix the grated cheese together with the crème fraiche and set aside.
5. Generously butter a gratin dish and cover with half of the sliced potatoes followed by the onions and bacon and the second half of the potatoes.
6. Pour over the white wine and spread the Lincolnshire Poacher and crème fraiche mixture over the top.
7. Season with freshly ground pepper and grated nutmeg and bake for 15-20 mins in the pre-heated oven until golden. Serve piping hot.
Recipe by Alex Mackay, Great Food Live. Photo and recipe courtesy of UKTV Food
Admin November, 2014