Time to prepare: 15 mins
Time to cook: 45 mins
400g shallots, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp brown sugar
Salt and black pepper
4 large torn basil leaves
125g sliced Scarsdale Royal dry-cured ham or Parma
60g shavings mature Lincolnshire Poacher
4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and stir in the shallots.
2. Cover with the lid, and sweat over a low heat for 5-10 minutes.
3. Add the sugar, salt and pepper, cook the shallots very gently for half an hour.
4. Add the vinegar, boil rapidly for about 1 minute.
5. Turn off heat and allow to cool, tear in the basil.
6. Place shallots in their own sauce on individual plates, lay the ham on top, scatter with shavings of cheese and serve with crusty bread.
Photo courtesy of Cambridge Evening News